MEET OUR MEMBERS
Tall, laid back, reflective & people pleaser.
Founder of The Book Cosy. Mother of 1. Enjoys readings, listening to music and cooking/baking. Lives in the country with her family, chickens, ducks, cats and dogs.
MEMBER SINCE: January 2008
FAVOURITE GENRE: Thriller & Suspense
FAVOURITE CHILDHOOD BOOK: The Secret Seven by Enid Blyton
BOOK CLUB SKILL: Does lots of research before choosing book club book
BEST BOOK CLUB BOOK CHOICE: I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes
Business owner and entrepreneur. Recently married (2018). Enjoys all things design, spending time in Thailand and reading of course!
MEMBER SINCE: January 2008
FAVOURITE GENRE: Suspense, Sci-Fi & Girl Power
FAVOURITE CHILDHOOD BOOK: Noisy Nora by Rosemary Wells
BOOK CLUB SKILL: Stretching member's comfort zone with my book choices
BEST BOOK CLUB BOOK CHOICE: Into The Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes
Homely, calm, quiet & a thinker
MEMBER SINCE: December 2008
FAVOURITE GENRE: Medical fiction and factual fiction
FAVOURITE CHILDHOOD BOOK: Danny Champion of the World by Roald Dahl
BOOK CLUB SKILL: Finishing all books!
BEST BOOK CLUB BOOK CHOICE: Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier
Strong and full bodied with a frothy personality.
Lives a fast paced life combining a full time job in the city with managing a hectic household of 3 children, 1 dog and 2 cats (plus a long suffering hubby!) Enjoys the gym, particularly the yoga classes as a means of relaxation.
MEMBER SINCE: January 2008
FAVOURITE GENRE: Cultural fiction
FAVOURITE CHILDHOOD BOOK: Famous Five by Enid Blyton
BOOK CLUB SKILL: Pronunciation of character names
BEST BOOK CLUB BOOK CHOICE: The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith
Strong and independent topped with a sense of fun.
Short, warm hearted and slightly bitter!
Married, mother of 2, grandmother of 5. A Dental nurse who enjoys reading and watching films.
MEMBER SINCE: May 2018
FAVOURITE GENRE: Thriller
FAVOURITE CHILDHOOD BOOK: Mallory Towers by Enid Blyton, Little Women by Louisa M Alcott & What Katy Did Next by Susan Coolidge.
BEST BOOK CLUB BOOK CHOICE: The Man I Think I Know by Mike Gayle
Comforting, sweet toothed with a touch of wit.
Married for 43 years, mother and grandmother. Works for the NHS.
Taught myself to sew on a singer treadle machine at the age of 9 and it is now a hobby I love to go back to every now and again. Fabric & paper fanatic and enjoy spending time crafting & making DIY's.
MEMBER SINCE: January 2008
FAVOURITE GENRE: Psychological / Thriller
FAVOURITE CHILDHOOD BOOK: A Kestrel For A Knave by Barry Hines
BEST BOOK CLUB BOOK CHOICE: The Good Girl by Mary Kubica
Sugar, spice & everything nice!
A creative entrepreneur running my own digital design company. Loves a good book and a coffee on a rainy day! But I'd rather be in New York or by the beach sipping on a cocktail.
MEMBER SINCE: June 2019
FAVOURITE GENRE: Psychological Thriller
FAVOURITE CHILDHOOD BOOK: Harry Potter by J K Rowling
BEST BOOK CLUB BOOK CHOICE: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
How it works:
We all take it in turns to chose a book for the group to read. There are no stipulations about what books can or cannot be chosen but as a whole we tend to stick with popular fiction. The books are given out at the end each meeting normally followed by tea and cake.
We aim to meet every month to discuss the book we have all (hopefully finished) reading and to explore the themes/questions that may have arisen in the book. We then give each book a score out of 10. These scores are then added together, divided by the amount of people giving a score to derive our group average score.
How it started:
December 2007 sitting in a hair salon reading a glossy magazine, I came across an article about New Year resolutions. It suggested things to do in the New Year and yes, 'Start Your Own Book Club' was one of them.
I have always had a love for reading but because of day to day life, I tended only to read on holiday. I thought this would not only encourage me to read more but also be a fun thing to do. So who to invite?
My first thoughts were friends and family. I set about sending a blanket text to those who I thought might be interested. As it turns out, most people thought it was either a silly idea or couldn't commit to reading books within a set time constraint. In the end it was close family members who agreed to join (perhaps humouring me). Nevertheless, I embraced their decision to join and set about choosing a book to start.
Over the years (yes, years) we have seen members come and unfortunately go. We have had books that have made us laugh (although not many), cry, scream with frustration, feel hated towards and some that we have loved. We have shared not only the passion for reading but developed friendships whilst sipping wine and eating cake. I never imagined it would last as long as it has or become a regular part of my life.
The BookCosy Books so far
16. The Red Tent - Anita Diamant
18. Change of Heart - Jodi Picoult
19. My Enemy's Cradle - Sara Young
20. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Stieg Larsson
21. Crazy as Chocolate - Elisabeth Hyde
12. Ma, He Sold Me For A Few Cigarettes - Martha Long
13. The Chameleon's Shadow - Minette Walters
14. The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas - John Boyne
15. Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier
16. The Gargoyle - Andrew Davidson
17. The Red Tent - Anita Diamant
18. The White Tiger - Aravind Adiga
19. Change of Heart - Jodi Picoult
20. My Enemy's Cradle - Sara Young
21. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Stieg Larsson
22. Crazy as Chocolate - Elisabeth Hyde
23. The Girl on the Landing - Paul Torday
24. The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon
24. Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man - Fannie Flagg
25. How to be Good - Nick Hornby
28. Notes On A Scandal - Zoe Heller
29. The Help - Kathryn Stockett
31. A Beginner's Guide to Acting English - Shappi Khorsandi
32. One Day - David Nicholls
33. Hurting Distance - Sophie Hannah
34. The Secret Life of Bees - Sue Monk Kidd
35. Stone's Fall - Iain Pears
36. The Snowman - Jo Nesbo
37. Water For Elephants - Sara Greun
38. Into The Darkest Corner - Elizabeth Haynes
39. Pompeii - Robert Harris
40. Is There Anything You Want? - Margaret Forster
41. The House At Riverton - Kate Morton
42. The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake - Aimee Bender
43. The Death Instinct - Jed Rubenfeld
44. The Glass Castle - Jeannette Walls
45. Left Neglected - Lisa Genova
46. Before I Go To Sleep - S J Watson
47. Girl Reading - Katie Ward
48. The Language of Flowers - Vanessa Diffenbaugh
49. Case Histories - Kate Atkinson
50. Cuckoo - Julia Crouch
51. The Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern
52. The Art of Fielding - Chad Harbach
53. The Greatcoat- Helen Dunmore
54. The Bottle Factory Outing - Beryl Bainbridge
55. The Sugar Girls - Duncan Barrett & Nuala Calvi
56. Rivers of London - Ben Aaronovitch
57. Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn
58. The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry - Rachel Joyce
59. Capital - John Lanchester
60. The Last Girl - Jane Casey
61. Beautiful Ruins - Jess Walter
62. Ada's Rules - Alice Randall
63. A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini
64. Never Coming Back - Tim Weaver
65. What Have I Done? - Amanda Prowse
66. The Submission - Amy Waldman
67. The Burning Air - Erin Kelly
68. The Shock of the Fall - Nathan Filer
69. The Perfume Collector - Kathleen Tessaro
70. The Misbegotten - Katherine Webb
71. After the Fall - Charity Norman
72. The Girl With All The Gifts - M.R.Carey
73. The Cuckoo's Calling - Robert Galbraith
74. The Martian- Andy Weir
75. The Land of Decoration - Grace McCleen
76. The Winter Garden - Jane Thynne
77. Elizabeth Is Missing - Emma Healey
78. The First Phone Call from Heaven- Mitch Albom
79. The Book for You - Claire Kendal
80. The Good Girl -Mary Kubica
81. The Children Act - Ian McEwan
82. Big Little Lies - Liane Moriarty
84. A Man Called Ove - Fredrik Backman
85. I Let You Go - Clare Mackintosh
86. Lonely Girl - Josephine Cox
87. The Tea Planter's Wife - Dinah Jefferies
88. The Girl In The Red Coat - Kate Hamer
89. Behind Closed Doors - B A Paris
90. Black-Eyed Susans - Julia Heaberlin
91. Early One Morning - Virginia Baily
92. The Versions of Us - Laura Barnett
93. The Japanese Lover - Isabel Allende
94. Second Life - S J Watson
95. The Secret - Kathryn Hughes
96. In Cold Blood - Truman Capote
97. The Reader on the 6.27 - Jean-Paul Didierlaurent
98. Lust - Roald Dahl
99. My Sweet Revenge - Jane Fallon
100. The Forgetting Time- Sharon Guskin
101. Unravelling Oliver - Liz Nugent
102. The Couple Next Door -Shani Lapena
103. The Sunrise - Victoria Hislop
104. I See You - Clare Mackintosh
107. The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August - Claire North
112. Kane and Abel - Jeffrey Archer
125. 11.22.63 -Stephen King